City 4.0 is about Digitalization
Digitalization will improve a city’s productivity, fast growth, and drive economic activities. The city’s underlying infrastructure layer can be managed and optimized with seamless integration of data gathered by the Internet of Things (IoT).
5 key areas of commonality between Industry and City 4.0:
- The need for an overall strategic vision and commitment to transformation (organizational as well as digital) while delivering specific projects to time and budget;
- A fundamental shift to the principle of customer or citizen centricity;
- The critical importance of data as the catalyst for change, and the need for a data strategy that is secure and based on building trust;
- The need for a full-fiber network, 5G communications, and IoT infrastructure that is open, interoperable, and available to all;
- Investment in skills and awareness.
ISO 37106 provides a framework for smart city transformation, comprising four main components:
- Guiding principles
- Citywide governance and delivery processes
- Benefit realization
- Critical success factors
Once this data is made available, open application programming interfaces allow innovative companies and urban administrations to develop other use cases and develop apps based on the available data for the good of the citizens, the city authorities, and local businesses.