The SMART Competition is a high school and university team-based CTE and STEM education program thatprovides a hands-on learning experience and practical investigation of sustainability, intelligent building design, renewable technology and the smart grid. The Competition promotes sustainable design, the use of renewable technology, improving energy efficiency, and the smart grid.
The competition encourages an academic interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) provides a hands-on, career technology-based real-world engineering experience (CTE), and increases student motivation to learn and stay in school while providing an opportunity for dynamic and creative student-team academic activities. Solutions will use professional reality modeling tools to address Green Building Design, Energy Conservation, Localized Power Generation, Intelligent Power Distribution, Architecture, Sustainable Technology, Transportation, and Electric Vehicles. The ultimate goal of the program is to expand student interest in pursuing related university studies and STEM/CTE-related careers.
Key design features
- Make the campus more energy self-sufficient through the use of sustainable materials and renewable technology
- Add renewable power generation capability to the campus
- Design for the future using cutting edge computer simulation
Team Design Requirements
- Using Bentley OpenBuilding Simulation (Architecture, Engineering Construction, and Operation) software tools, conduct energy and loading analysis and identify campus building and design improvement opportunities
- Redesign the gymnasium to improve energy efficiency and power use. Teams can implement changes to all roof, wall, door, and window materials used redesign lighting and air SMART COMPETITION OVERVIEW conditioning systems, select trees and landscape options, and change the building orientation.
- Add renewable energy-based power generating systems to the campus.
- Insert surplus energy into the surrounding neighborhood’s smart grid.
The competition is designed to provide a real-world application of technology by empowering students to address critical environmental and energy challenges. In addition to the academic elements of the competition, the program facilitates the development of workforce and life skills including computer analysis and software design, reality modelling, verbal and written communication, research, teamwork, project planning, and problem-solving. Students achieve an increased awareness of the smart grid, green building design, the environment, community, livability, and sustainability-related issues.
- Computer generated animation of a fly-around of their campus and gymnasium
- Design, Innovation, and Impact Report
- Team presentation
- Provide actionable recommendations to local leadership that will improve the
energy use or decreased reliance on externally provided power by their school.
Who can compete
The competition is designed for undergraduate university and high school students and is open to all public, private, parochial, and home-based schools, clubs, and sponsored educational entities.
As a professional…Get Involved!
You can make a difference.
- Introduce the SMART Competition program to the university and high school students
- Mentor a student team
- Share your expertise with students in using the Bentley software
- Engage your professional network
- Serve as a competition judge